Your family law attorney can teach you a lot about the procedures involved in getting a divorce. They possess authoritative knowledge of the Louisiana laws that govern their practices and routinely guide spouses through the divorce process. Experienced family law attorneys can also tell parents about other pitfalls that may arise during the process, or after the divorce. If the couple are parents, one such pitfall is the risk of alienation from their children.
Parental alienation is a troubling syndrome in which one parent works to undermine the other parent’s relationship with their children, and it’s all too commonplace. This can be significantly damaging to children as the syndrome often forces them to choose one parent over the other. Some believe that parental alienation could cause a child to develop a personality disorder if left unaddressed. A few signs of possible parental alienation syndrome include:
- Your kids suddenly ask you not to attend school functions, sporting events and other activities.
- Your children begin to exhibit challenging, combative or argumentative behaviors.
- Your child or children seem to be provoking you into anger.
- Your kids adopt an air of superiority over you.
- Your children take full responsibility for the alienation and claim the other parent played no role in these new and disturbing behaviors.
If your children begin to display these or other signs of alienation, it is critical to their mental and emotional health to seek help from a childcare professional as soon as possible. It may become necessary for family court to modify custody and visitation until the other parent gets professional help to stop these harmful activities, your family lawyer can help. Contact us today with any questions regarding your divorce.