Expect to encounter a variety of challenges in the immediate future if you’re part of a motor vehicle accident.
Your health and safety should be your top priority, but a call to your insurance company to file a claim shouldn’t be far behind.
Easy as that, right?
It does sound simple enough, but the claims process can be a labyrinth of twists and turns.
There are some things you should do to protect your rights at such a vulnerable time:
- Contact your insurance agent as soon as possible
- Look over your insurance policy from front to back. Get a clear picture of what to expect from your insurer
- Keep detailed records of every communication with insurance company representatives. Things like: the name of the representative you spoke with, the time and date of the communication, their contact information and what was discussed
- Take pictures of damages to your vehicle, injuries sustained and the entire accident scene
- Keep all receipts associated with any losses resulting from the accident (lodging, medical treatment, food, etc.)
Be as honest as possible with your insurance company at all times. While this doesn’t mean you have to answer every question, it is never a good idea to stretch the truth under any circumstance.
Despite best efforts, there’s a good chance you’ll one day be part of an accident.
If you’re unfortunate enough to be involved in an automobile accident, take steps to protect your legal rights. We can help!