Results-Oriented Attorneys With Integrity And Experience

Attorneys James R. “JR” Clary, Jr., Christopher S. Suba, Casey D. Neale and Briton J. Myer

What If You Can’t Afford Your Child Support Payments?

On Behalf of | Jul 12, 2018 | Family Law

Even if things are going well right now in regards to your finances, this could change at some point in the future.

If you come to realize that you are unable to afford your child support payments, you need to consider all your options. It may be time to request a child support modification. Doing so means taking these steps:

  • Acting fast. The court doesn’t know you are in a bad financial spot until you tell them. You need to act fast as to avoid a situation in which you miss a payment.
  • Talk to the other parent. You may have to swallow your pride in order to do so, but let this person know that you can’t afford to make your child support payments. If you do a good job explaining yourself, he or she may agree to a temporary modification.
  • Document your change in circumstances. The court doesn’t want to hear that you need a child support modification for no reason. Instead, you need to prove that your financial situation has changed.
  • File your request. Nothing is final until you file your request with the court and receive an answer from the judge. You need to file your request as quickly as possible.

If you are unable to afford your child support payments, you should feel comfortable taking these steps. It may not be the ideal situation, but it’s better than getting behind and worrying about the impact it will have on you and your child.

As you learn more about your legal rights, it’ll become clear as to what you should do next.